About Tracey Smith
Trace is a highly experienced financial executive who enjoys bringing big company reporting to small and medium size organizations. His career started on the Canadian prairies with one of the Big Four. He was soon transferred to the London office, where he managed audits in the high-tech group. Returning to Canada he was a Plant Controller for a French conglomerate which ultimately transferred him to Baltimore to clean up after extensive fraud and then Gainesville to manage a technology transfer of a subsidiary whose acquisition he worked on. Later, as US VP Finance of another French multinational he was instrumental in bringing the Acela high speed train to the US, as well as overseeing a number of business units ranging in size from a few million to 1.5 billion dollars in revenue.
When that company was sold, he became CFO of USA and Asia for a VC backed international moving company. There he helped transition a family held enterprise into a more corporate entity. As a consultant he has managed the treasury integration in a multinational acquisition, worked with a private equity group assisting in the sale of a shipyard, reviewed the quality of management and systems of a manufacturer, and prepared for (another) shipyard, documents as part of their bid to list the company on the junior London stock exchange.
Trace’s expertise includes:
- Budgets, Best Estimate Forecasts and What-if Projections.
- Preparation of Concise Financial Dashboards.
- Cash Flow management with special emphasis on Receivables and Inventory.
- Cash Flow forecasting from 13 weeks to 5 years.
- Coaching non-financial managers in the use of financial data.
- Acquisitions and post-acquisition integration.
- Preparing companies for sale.
- International transactions and operations.
- Improvement of accounting operations and controls.
- Banking relationships.
- Relationships with Lawyers, Insurance Brokers, Tax Advisors, Auditors, and Private Equity Groups.
- Staff Development. (Trace was an adjunct professor of accounting for a number of years.)
Trace has a business degree from the University of Regina and is a CPA, CA. He has lived in Houston since 2003. He is also a member of the Bread Bakers Guild of America, which comes in handy as he and his wife, Mireya, have 6 high energy grandchildren in the Houston area.
- University of Regina
Certificates & Licenses:
- CPA, CA (Canada)