About Michael Bowie
Michael is a seasoned professional, with several years of experience working with companies to turnaround and improve their growth and profitability. He works very well with owners, management, and company personnel in helping them understand the relationship between operational performance and financial results. Michael is very process oriented. This leads to the development of key procedures, metrics, cash flow and operational forecasting, budgeting, and accurate financial reporting that help drive and improve business performance. He has a track record of mentoring and developing staff to achieve a high level of performance with a focus on customer service. He is adept at working with outside auditors, legal counsel, risk managers, and bankers. Michael has experience negotiating lines of credit and term notes with banks, as well as restructuring debt financing.
Michael is effective at working with owners and management in seeing and developing the Big Picture and evaluating potential outcomes based on forecast projections and identified key assumptions. These projections along with key historical data and metrics help the company make informed decisions regarding their future operations that lead to growth and increasing profitability.
Michael works closely with the owners, and operations management, partnering with them to ensure they have the information they need to make informed, timely, and accurate decisions. He works with the service departments (Finance, HR, IT, Procurement), owners, and operations to help all parties to understand the needs of the other department, improve communication and overall operational effectiveness.
Michael has 32 years of experience and has been a CFO for manufacturing companies, distribution & service companies and a vertically integrated manufacturing and retail company. He also has several years of oil & gas exploration experience as well as experience in chemical process manufacturing.
Michael’s accomplishments include turning around an alumina plant operation from a $10 million loss to a $19 million profit in six months. He restructured a gasket manufacturing/service company that had a prior year $6 million dollar loss, paid off its debts and set up to run profitably at its core experience which was manufacturing. He was the project leader for a Fortune 100 company and awarded the Chairman’s Award for Operational Excellence for the design of the service branch business model for all divisions of the corporation.
Michael’s experiences include:
- Cash Management and Cash Flow Forecasting
- Strategic planning, budgeting, and p/l forecasting
- Financial and management reporting and analysis
- Treasury, banking, and debt management including debt covenant compliance
- Commodity Hedging
- Supplier contract negotiations
- Contract review and negotiations
- Process mapping
- Improvement of business processes
- Development of accounting policies, processes, and controls
- Cost Accounting
- Discrete, Process, Job Cost
- Implementation of accounting systems
- Oracle, SAP, Sage 500 ERP, RECY Scrap Metal Software, Quickbooks
- Set up of report management software, TM1
- Managing relationships of outside auditors, legal, bankers, and consultants
- Risk Management
- Staff Development
- Accounting and finance operations and change management
- Acquisition of Commercial Real Estate
- Set up of International Operations
Michael is a licensed CPA in the State of Texas and has a BBA — Accounting, and a MBA — Finance from the University of Houston. He is a member of the Texas Society of CPAs and The Financial Executives Network Group.
- University of Houston
Certificates & Licenses:
- BBA – Accounting 1981
- MBA – Finance 1990
- CPA – 1989
- Texas Society of CPAs
- The Financial Executive Network Group