About Gary Sellergen
Gary is a veteran of over 30-years in business administration functions with extensive responsibilities as a CFO as well as senior leadership in IT, Facilities, Human Resources, IT, Marketing, Operations, and Planning.
Gary is a home run hitting strategist that is also a “Fixer” and get it done doer! He offers free introductory strategy sessions for CEO’s and business owners of companies that have annual sales under $75 million. He will concentrate on the things that you a) can’t do, b) don’t want to do, or c) should be doing. He will address your key pain points and give you a fresh perspective! Gary is a creative thinker and enjoys designing scalable/durable systems that facilitate rapid growth. He is extremely versatile and will provide successful leadership for you in any role.
Gary’s leadership skills include a proficiency in business case, financial, and competitive analysis. He has also led strategic planning and creative thinking processes to influence others and drive key initiatives to achieve results. He continues to push his versatility (e.g., programming boot camp) to stay agile in our technology-dominated world. He is an excellent project manager of technology-related upgrades and implementation of applications.
Areas of expertise include:
- Leadership: Achieved 30 years of progressive senior management experience overseeing companies accountable for all aspects of operations including running Board meetings.
- IT: Have overseen the implementation of new computer systems and transitions to the Cloud. Have saved over $100,000 negotiating IT system purchases and have also renegotiated IT service contracts to save over $50,000 annually.
- Savings: Have streamlined many different processes and have orchestrated large-scale reorganizations, one resulting in savings of over $500,000 annually.
- Revenue Enhancement: Have consistently used a balanced scorecard approach to develop balanced goals in all areas of a business and this ultimately affects the bottom line. He has achieved a $4M net profit margin at one company and at a smaller company increased their net profit margin in 1 year by 5X to $400,000.
- Project Planning: Analyzed capital spending projects, formulated return on investment (ROI) and payback period. Have project managed moves of businesses to new office buildings, one a high-rise. Have also project managed the development of a complex database application, overseeing several software engineers, completing the project in 10 weeks (in half the projected time).
- Non-technical Skills: Possess a strong work ethic; excellent analytical abilities, takes ownership, robust problem-solving methods. Achieved team-level collaboration and earned trust with many program solutions.
Gary is a graduate of Loyola University of Chicago where he obtained an MBA with a concentration in Finance. Five years ago, he left the snow and moved to Austin. He has served as the President of several Boards and recently co-founded a non-profit in Austin called SupplytheTeachers.org. He has routinely worked with programs that benefit our children as this is our future!
In his spare time, he appreciates family time, outdoor activities, including playing baseball, volleyball, and hiking. He also is an avid sports fan of baseball, basketball, and football.
Bradley University, Peoria, IL, BS-Finance
Loyola University, Chicago, IL, MBA-Finance